Saturday, October 4, 2008

Surviving our first hurricane

I know it's about a month late but we managed to come out of the hurricane better than most people in the Houston area. In preparation for the storm, the boys and I went up to my parents' house and moved all of their patio furniture in the garage. We also moved everthing from our back patio to our garage. Friday was actually a wonderful day. The weather was just perfect. The sun was shining and there was a nice cool breeze. The boys enjoyed playing with their friends at the park and riding their bikes. We lost power around 9 pm on Friday even though the storm didn't arrive until the early hours of Saturday. Man, I never realized just how much I depend on the ceiling fans to keep me cool. We all had a very warm and uncomfortable night. Thankfully our lovely patio cover kept a good portion of the patio dry so we were able to spend a lot of time outside on Saturday instead of in the hot house. We finally gave up around 3 pm and headed to Georgetown for some air conditioning. We checked in with friends Sunday morning and found out that we had power again so we loaded up the van and headed home. Brian's office still didn't have power on Monday so he got to take the day off. We were so lucky that there was no damage done to our house, fence or landscaping. I know God was watching over us that night.

0 comments: